We all know that sleep is an essential part of our lives and how we function each day, but for athletes and active individuals sleep is an imperative part of muscle recovery and performance. Here at 4Sleep we have taken the time to research how important comfort and sleep are for aiding in muscle recovery and muscle relaxation and would like to share with you why it is important and how we have used this information to design a mattress with the athlete in mind. Below are specific facts related to athletic performance, sleep and how to achieve the best of both.
- Sleep Studies: The most popular study sited is the Stanford University Study conducted by Cheri Mah. The study’s objective was to “To investigate the effects of sleep extension over multiple weeks on specific measures of athletic performance as well as reaction time, mood, and daytime sleepiness.” In this study, Mah discovered that sleep had a significant effect on the overall performance of athletes, reaction times, mood and daytime sleepiness. The athletes she studied showed significant improvement when they were able to get more and better sleep. Both their accuracy and their speed improved.
- Sleep Stages: During sleep the body goes through 4 sleep stages. The most important of these stages for recovery are stages 3 and 4. This is the phase of sleep where you are sleeping deeply, your blood pressure drops and your breathing becomes much slower. At this time your muscles will start to relax and this increases the blood flow to your muscles. The increased blood flow brings more oxygen and nutrients to your muscles to aid in tissue repair and growth.
- HGH (Human Growth Hormone): Another important physiological occurrence during this stage of sleep is the release of HGH (Human Growth Hormones) that are essential to muscle development. HGH drug use has been becoming more and more prevalent among athletes to enhance their athletic abilities. They have discovered that when mixed with anabolic steroids it can cause dramatic improvements in their performance, but with dangerous consequences. The natural HGH that sleep produces is all that your body truly needs and with extra hours of sleep your body will produce more of this coveted hormone.
- Brain Function: It is no secret that the lack of sleep causes impaired performance of the frontal lobe. The frontal lobe is one of the four lobes of your brain that is located in the forefront of your brain. Two of the main the functions of the frontal lobe is decision making and problem solving. Therefore, if you don’t get enough sleep, you won’t make good decisions. As an athlete, split decision making is imperative in every sport. Your cognitive ability needs to be at its peak performance when competing and other than nutrition and exercise sleep is an essential factor in increasing this brain function.
With this information we have been able to:
- Design a mattress that can distribute weight evenly, support high muscle mass individuals and sense the body’s heat to conform to a specific individual so that it is able to provide the perfect environment to promote speedy muscle recovery.
- Use a precision motion isolation technology so you won’t feel your partner’s movements while sleeping and will ultimately reduce tossing and turning so you get the sleep you need for better brain function.
- Create specialized foam layers precisely engineered and positioned to perfectly map your body’s unique pressure points providing comfort and optimal support for athletes who put more stress on their body and muscles therefore requiring a longer recovery time than non-athletes.
The 4Sleep mattress includes all of these amazing features in an affordable mattress and one that combines the latest technology to improve sleep. From the revolutionary gel technology which absorbs or releases heat wherever and whenever your body needs it to keep you within that optimal skin temperature of 87° to 90°F (30-32°C) to our super resilient advanced technology foam that boosts your every movement yet absorbs energy to isolate your movements and minimize motion, 4Sleep has designed a mattress that will help you maximize your athletic performance.