It’s pretty much a known fact that most Americans don’t get adequate sleep at night. In fact, according to the National Institutes of Health adults should get 7-8 hours of sleep a night. Results from the National Health Interview Survey show that almost 30% of adults only log in an average of 6 or less hours a day! If you fall into this category you may consider taking a short afternoon nap to boost your energy and brain power.
Research on Sleep and Its Effects On Human Behavior
Researchers have been studying sleep and its effects on human behavior longer than most of us have been alive. Over the past ten years there have been more and more studies proving that a nap of 30 minutes or less during the day will promote wakefulness and learning ability. In fact, companies like Google, Huffington Post, AOL and on-line retailer Zappos are incorporating “nap rooms” or “energy pods” for employees to get a quick snooze in during the day. This may be the new wave of the future since workplace sleep-related injuries and illnesses are beginning to hit businesses in the wallet.
Sleep Is Costing Employers and Employees
It is estimated by NIH studies that “the annual cost of sleep-related workplace injuries in the US civilian workforce is estimated to exceed $100 billion dollars.” This study only measures workplace injuries; can you imagine how lack of sleep affects productivity in general? The lack of sleep in the American workforce is a growing problem that is forcing some companies to start addressing it head on. A Harvard study concluded that Insomnia is costing the U.S. Workforce 63.2 billion dollars a year!
Get Your Daily Nap In
Clearly it has been established we need our sleep to function properly and effectively. If you aren’t among the fortunate ones who work for a company who has adopted the work day nap, then I have a few good excuses you can pull from if you get caught taking a siesta at your desk. Carpe Sleepum!
- They told me at the blood bank this might happen.
- Someone must have put decaf in the wrong pot.
- Why did you interrupt me? I had almost found a solution to our biggest problem.
- I was trying out the 15 minute power nap that they were raving about at that last management course we took.
- Did you ever notice that weird sound the keyboard makes when you get your ear up really close to it?
- Don’t worry. I am still billing the client.
- Didn’t you know that this was one of the 7 habits of highly effective people!
- I'm actually doing a "Stress Level Elimination Exercise Plan” (SLEEP).
- This nap is actually in exchange for the 6 hours I dreamt about work last night.
- I was cross-training for telecommuting.
- Statistics prove that employees who take a quick nap after lunch are more productive than those who don’t.
- Geez, I thought you had gone home for the day.
- Raise your head slowly and say “In Jesus’ name…Amen”