The Holidays are upon us again. Days that should be filled with joy, family, relaxation and giving can quickly turn into aggravation, annoyance, stress and ungratefulness. Here at 4Sleep we thought we could lighten your holiday stress and bring you back to enjoying your holiday with 12 humorous holiday tips to keep your days merry and bright and your nights filled with visions of sugar plums!
- Show Gratitude – Although it can be tough when you open Grandma’s gift and get a silver dollar instead of a $100 bill, remember it’s the thought that counts. 50 years ago a silver dollar was a fantastic gift for a grandchild and your grandmother probably still thinks it 1942.
- Stay in a Hotel - So it may cost a bit more, but let’s weigh the options. Sleep in the twins yellow stained bunk beds and wake up with a sore back, walk in on dad in the bathroom and then finally get in the shower and all the hot water is gone. Hotel = Peace
- Lie – That’s right, there is such a thing as a good lie. So when the turkey is dry and the rolls are hard just smile and say “this is delicious”. You can always sneak out to IHOP afterwards and get a stack of Rooty tooty fresh and fruity!
- Forgive - As much as we want the holidays to go on without a hitch there always seems to be something that tests our patience. Whether it is Uncle John’s second burrito that overflows the upstairs toilet or your teenager taking your car for a joy ride take a second to remember that this too shall pass. Forgiveness allows everyone to move forward.
- Sing - How can we argue with Buddy the Elf when he says “The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear.” So make the best of it and break out some Christmas Karaoke.
- Laugh – Even when you want to cry….choose to laugh instead. Laughing is truly contagious. So, instead of spreading germs, spread cheer.
- Take a Nap - A good 15 minute nap will do wonders for your body and mind. It will give you that extra brain power you will need to practice patience when your husband or wife leaves you alone with the kids or even worse, the in-laws.
- Lend a Helping Hand – When you see someone else struggling to keep it together for the holidays, offer to help out to lessen their stress and get bonus points for being kind.
- Eat – The moment you feel that you are going to say something you will regret shove the nearest Christmas cookie, piece of fudge or a turkey leg in your mouth. Not only will it taste good, but it could potentially save Christmas.
- Pray, Mediate or Chant – Sometimes your own self will just won’t cut it. So call upon your greater power to give you the strength to get through the next 10 minutes. Repeat as often is necessary.
- Cry – Not only will it release stress reducing hormones, but it can clear out a room quickly.
- Know where your closest exit is at all times. And your safe word!
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all, and to all a good sleep.
The 4Sleep Family